Since debuting in 2002, “The Bachelor” has become one of the most beloved and hated reality TV shows of our time. The success of the original has brought us “The Bachelorette”, “Bachelor Pad”, “Bachelor in Paradise,” and even a talk show following “Bachelor in Paradise” called “After Paradise” which features an array of celebrities actually talking about the show and the contestants. There are even international versions in Australia, Canada, India, France and The U.K just to name a few. And despite people claiming every season they won’t watch it again, they always do (me included.)
The popularity of the show of course has made fans race to social media, blogs, Fantasy Leagues and podcast to have their say and be part of the fun. One of those who has gotten in on the podcasting game when it comes to talking about all things Bachelor is Katie Aldrin. Aldrin, 26, is a Sarasota native that graduated from Pine View in 2008. Aldrin still has quite a few Sarasota connections but currently lives and works out in California as a writer’s assistant on a new Netflix show that is premiering later this year and aspires to become a TV writer.
She has just moved to LA and was living alone and working long hours at a talent agency when she got into season 17 of The Bachelor featuring Sean Lowe.
“One thing I love about “The Bachelor” is that it airs on Monday nights, which means there’s always something to look forward to as the week begins!”
As a fan of podcasts she had been hoping to start one of her own for quite some time. She and her boyfriend, Sam Chalsen, a writer on the FOX show “Sleepy Hollow”, decided to do a podcast after realizing how much time they spent talking about the show. Yes, she has even gotten her boyfriend into the show. Chalsen got hooked during Chris Soules’ painful season (season 19).
The podcast is called “The Most Dramatic Bachelor Podcast Yet,” a very witty title given that the show’s host, Chris Harrison, always proclaims each season, date and moment to be the “most dramatic (fill in the blank) yet.”
With Chalsen as co-host Aldrin covers the inside info on Bachelor Nation (yes, it has become known as a nation) and Chalsen adds the candid commentary. Aldrin also likes that there is both a male and female perspective on the show.
Like all fans of the show, Aldrin does have her favorites. “Bachelor in Paradise” is her favorite of the series (Chalsen calls it “The Avengers of Bachelor Nation). Her favorite bachelorette is Kaitlyn Bristowe and she thinks Nick Viall, the current bachelor, might be her new favorite bachelor. Would she ever go on the show? Aldrin would much rather be a producer than a contestant. And speaking of contestants, she does know who she would love to have come on her podcast.
“Ashley Iaconetti. She talks about having a Mr. Big (who I assume is in Bachelor Nation) that’s not Jared or Wells, and I’m dying to know who it is!”
With the new season already underway, the second episode airs tonight, she and Chalsen have gotten back to podcasting – breaking down contestant bios, making commentary about the first impressions and even talking about their Bachelor Fantasy teams.
- Nick: Tool bag or good guy? Somewhere in the middle, which is why I like him!
- Bachelor or Bachelorette? Depends on the person: Kaitlyn over Chris, but Ben over Jojo.
- Bachelor Pad or Bachelor in Paradise? Paradise! It’s… classier?
- Kissing on first night or no? Totally. Wells is a cautionary tale for us all.
- Better Bachelor Couple: Jason Mesnick & Molly Malaney or Trista Rehn & Ryan Sutter? They’re both before my time, but my favorite Bachelor Nation couple is Jade & Tanner.
- Better Bachelor Couple: Sean Lowe & Catherine Giudici or Kaitlyn Bristowe & Shawn Booth? I love them both, but relate more to Kaitlyn & Shawn.
- Who’s worse: Juan Pablo or Chad Johnson? Juan Pablo. Full stop.
- Who’s worse: Courtney Robertson or Vienna Girardi? Hmm… I’m listening to the audiobook of Courtney’s memoir right now, so I’ll get back to you once I’ve finished it!
- Team Josh or Team Andi? Andi. Does anyone really say Josh?
- Ashley S. or Ashley I.? Ashley I. I would love to see her as The Bachelorette!
- Emily Ferguson or Hayley Ferguson? I think the twins are definitely a package deal.
- Carly and Evan – yeah or nay? Yay. I’m glad they’re happy, which means they can retire from Paradise.
- Is “twin” ever an OK job description? Only on The Bachelor franchise.
- Better date vehicle: Boat or helicopter? Helicopter. Unless it’s a 2-on-1, then both options are bad. Who wants to risk getting stranded on a deserted island on primetime TV?
- Better date: Hometowns or Destination? …Is it bad if I say destination?
- Animal involved entrance – yay or nay? Nay. Can you imagine the poor production assistant who had to figure out Lacey’s camel?
- Latecomers – yay or nay? Yay. I was really hoping for one this season!
- Chris Harrison or Jorge? Chris Harrison. Sam does a great Chris impression. (You can also hear his Nick impression on the podcast!)
- Red wine or white wine? Depends on the episode! For the premiere, we had “first impression rose” and “limo-cello” shots.