Let’s face it – 2016 was rough. There were some bright spots but between all the celebrity deaths, the contentious election cycle, Zika virus, Syria and a wide variety of other things no one can say this year didn’t punch them in the gut at least a few times. I mean, just watch this fake “2016” movie trailer and try and tell us it doesn’t feel just a little too real.
I decided to poll the newsroom and see what some of my fellow colleagues are putting on their wish list for 2017. Here’s what they had to say:
- Don’t abandon puppies and kittens you got your bratty kids as Christmas presents because they are suddenly too much work.
- For people to park between the lines. (Seriously folks it is not that hard to park between the designated lines.)
- I don’t want to say goodbye to any more Star Wars actors/actresses in 2017. (This goes for Star Trek too.)
- For more affordable/attainable housing in Sarasota/Manatee counties.
- For the influx of Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers and other weight loss commercials to be less annoying that the presidential election ads.
- For “Unconditional Surrender” to go away. (We also had a vote for it to stay and a vote for it to become animated mid-day. So I guess we will stay up in the air on that one…)
- For more amazing, influential musicians to release phenomenal albums — WITHOUT dying shortly thereafter.
- Donald Trump’s impeachment. / Trump’s resignation over conflicts of interest. / Donald Trump turning out not as bad as most people fear.
- The Braves announce they love Sarasota County so much they’ll build their own stadium here without tax money.
- For a Gremlins movie.
- More Alec Baldwin on SNL.
For the Green Bay Packers to win the Super Bowl.
For the Cubs to win another World Series.
- A raise and no layoffs!
- For Southwest Airlines to move into the SRQ airport.
- Red tide sinks to the bottom of the ocean to hide from new administration.
- For a surge of young, eligible, educated bachelors to descend on our community.
- An influx of snowbirds who love to read newspapers but hate to drive anywhere.
- Mandatory driving courses for snowbirds.
- The Internet figures out how to package smell.
- More hilarious Graphic of the Week pieces from Jennifer.
- More fun events and business to open that cater to the locals and young professional demographic.
- For the diverging diamond interchange to work like the state says it will.
- M. Night Shyamalan films “Sharknado V” at Mote Marine.
For Sarasota to get a Whataburger.
- For mental health services and funding to become a priority in our area and our state.
- For Hollywood to stop casting white people in brown/black/Asian roles *cough* Ghost in the Shell *cough*
- For coherent Facebook comments on our story links.
- For the city election to be less awful and mean than the general election.
- For daily cookies in the newsroom. (Solid hope/wish.)