Fabulous director Wes Anderson works on commercials sometimes too — and his advice on what makes a good story is pretty golden. According to him, you need:
- A dash or two of humor
- A strong seasonal feel, but not to excess
- A compelling story line with an air of intrigue
- Always include a dog. Always.
- Bring lumps to throats and you’re on the right track
We figured it was time to pull them all together for you. Here are the best holiday commercials we’ve seen this season:
1. Polish online auction company Allegro: “English For Beginners”
An elderly Polish man begins to teach himself English, and you don’t know why until the end and then tears are everywhere.
2. Amazon Prime U.K: “Cup of Tea”
Take that, bigotry. This ad doesn’t even need words to get you straight in the heart.
3. Marks & Spencer: “With Love from Mrs. Claus”
What does Mrs. Claus get up to on Christmas Eve when her husband is delivering presents? Probably not what you think. In this story, she’s #goals, though. #LoveMrsClaus.
4. Duracell: “How the Rebels Saved Christmas”
This “Rogue One” focused commercial’s got sick kids in a hospital going on a galactic adventure to deliver a gift to a friend. Who’s cutting onions in here?
5. Temptations: “Keep Them Busy”
A bunch of kittens go to town on a massive Christmas display. What’s not to love.
6. Comcast Xfinity: “Hooking up Grandma’s House”
Grandparents decide to upgrade their technology after reading their grandkids’ tweets lamenting their lack of Netflix and cable.
7. Apple: “Frankie’s Holiday”
Brad Garrett as Frankenstein’s monster, who, alone by the town Christmas tree, begins to sing a carol.